• Show
Clear All

• Spooky Express Hawaii Bowl

Hawaii Bowl

Where: Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii
    Date & Time: Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 8:30 PM ET
    Spread: Houston Cougars -2.5
    Over/Under Total: 49
    Quick Pick: Fresno State +3 (Buy up half point)

The Fresno State Bulldogs will take on the Houston Cougars in this year’s Hawai’i Bowl. The game is being played at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii on Sunday, December 24, 2017 at 8:30 PM ET and can be watched on ESPN.

Hawai’i Bowl

The Hawai’i Bowl is a annual bowl played at the Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii. The Hawai’i Bowl has been played since 2002 and has always been called the Hawai’i Bowl in some way, shape or form.

They have had 2 different sponsors throughout the 15 years, including ConAgra Foods in 2002 and Sheraton Hotels and Resorts from 2003-2013. There is no formal sponsorship for this year’s Hawai’i Bowl.

The Hawai’i Bowl is normally played either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, December 24 or 25th. The conference tie-ins feature a team from either the Conference USA or the PAC-12 taking on a team from the Mountain West Conference. The charter policy for this bowl states that if Hawai’i is bowl eligible and have not already accepted a bowl big to another bowl, they are automatically eligible to play in the Hawai’i Bowl. If they are unable to get a team from either Conference USA or the PAC-12, they will choose from the highest ranking team from the Sun Belt, Mid-American and American Athletic Conference.

This year, Fresno State will represent the Mountain West Conference against the American Athletic Conference’s Houston Cougars. Both the Bulldogs and the Cougars have played in the Hawai’i Bowl in the past. Houston is 0-1 in the Hawai’i Bowl, losing their only time playing here against Hawai’i 54-48. The Bulldogs are 0-2 at the Hawai’i Bowl, losing in 2012 against SMU 43-10 and in 2014 against Rice 30-6.

Previous Matchup History

This will be the first time Houston and Fresno State have ever played each other. There are no real stats that can be used since this is the first matchup between these two teams.

Houston Cougars 7-4 (American Athletic Conference)

The Houston Cougars ended the year 7-4 SU and 6-5 ATS on the year. The Cougars finished in second place in the American Athletic Conference (West) behind Memphis. The Cougars played 9 of their 11 games under the posted total.

The Cougars ended the regular season with a win over Navy Midshipmen 24-14. Houston’s defense showed they were up to the task of stopping the vaunted Midshipmen rushing attack. QB D’Eriq King led the Cougars to the win by passing for 277 yards on a 21/27 day where he passed for a touchdown and ran for two others for a total of three touchdowns. The defense allowed 14 points in the first half of the game but totally shut them down in the second half.

Houston have a subpar bowl record at 11-13-1 (.460) in their history. The Cougars have played in 4 consecutive bowl games dating back to 2013. The Cougars lost in last year’s Las Vegas Bowl, falling to San Diego State 34-10. The Cougars are 12-4 ATS in their last 16 non-conference games. They are also 8-3 ATS in their last 11 neutral site games.

Fresno State 9-4 (Mountain West Conference)

The Fresno State Bulldogs wrapped up their regular season with a 9-4 SU record and covered the spread in 10 of the 13 games. Fresno finished in the top spot in the Mountain West (West) Conference. They went up against Boise State in the final game of the year, the Mountain West Conference Championship, and lost the game in a come from behind win for Boise 17-14.

The Bulldogs defense simply couldn’t stop Boise State and QB Brett Rypien from a late 4th quarter drive to put the Broncos in front and win the game. The Bulldogs hadn’t won in Boise since 1984 and were trying to achieve a feat that they haven’t reached in over 33 years.

Fresno State have a 12-14 (.462) record in bowl games. They have lost 6 straight bowl games dating back to 2008. The Bulldogs haven’t played in a bowl game since 2014, when they lost to the Rice Owls 30-6 in the Hawai’i Bowl.

First year Head Coach Jeff Tedford led this bulldog team to one of the biggest turnarounds in college history taking over a team that was 1-11 last year and finished up this year 9-4 with a shot at the Mountain West Conference Championship and playing in a bowl. Tedford’s name has been mentioned for potential candidate for the vacant head coaching position at Oregon but Tedford immediately ruled it out stating that he was happy in Fresno and wouldn’t be going anywhere.

Hawai’i Bowl Handicapping

Jeff Tedford really turned this Fresno team around and has them believing in themselves. They are playing decent offense but the real strength is on defense, where they rank 15th at stopping the run and 16th overall. Tedford knows how to prepare a team for a bowl, shown by his 5-3 bowl record when he was at Cal.

Spooky’s Selection

Our system is predicting that Fresno State will pull the upset here and win this game by a touchdown. BetDSI has this game as Houston -2.5 and the total set at 49. We will buy the half point here and grab 3 points with Fresno State. We will also be playing the moneyline on Fresno State due to the fact that we feel they will win this game outright.

Spooky’s Express Pick: Fresno State

Note: This bowl game is being handicapped and broken down weeks in advance of the game being played. Please be sure to check back periodically to determine if any changes have been made and be sure to check the day of the game, to receive and over/under plays that we may provide.

For the latest updates head to Spookyexpress.com or https://spookyexpress.com/college-bowl-game-picks/
    Last edited by Bobalou; 12-13-17, 05:12 PM.

**Update**
    Hawai’i Bowl

Our system is predicting that Fresno State will pull the upset here and win this game by a touchdown. BetDSI has this game as Houston -2.5 and the total set at 49. We will buy the half point here and grab 3 points with Fresno State+3 for 4 stars!!! We will also be playing the moneyline on Fresno State due to the fact that we feel they will win this game outright.

Spooky’s Express Pick: Fresno State +3

Fresno as a MoneyLine Dog!!!

Comment

Working...
    X